Monday, December 7, 2015

Refinishing the Dresser: Phase 1

I recently came across an opportunity to take an entire bedroom set from one of my very generous neighbors. It is a gorgeous set but needed a little face lift. That's where I come in. I am blessed to have as large of a workshop that I do in order to accomplish projects as big as this one but it can be very overwhelming. So I have decided to do it in phases. I have a dresser, armour, nightstand, foot board, and headboard to redo. I am starting off with the dresser and my first step was to strip all of the old stain, varnish, lacquer, and wax off. Here's how I did it:
1) Buy some Strip all 

This stuff is a nasty potion but it gets the job done! Make sure you have a well ventilated area and some sturdy rubber gloves. I poured some strip all into a metal paint tin (DO NOT USE PLASTIC) and grabbed some course steal wool and got to work. Since I had a large area to do, I had to go over it twice. The stain, wax, and varnish that is all coming off is really goopy so be generous with the stripper and let it dissolve the goop. After I had finished this part, I realized that I had some streaks to clean up so I got myself some fresh steal wool and stripper with fresh gloves and did my clean up. Now, what I learned is that wiping it down with the stripper will dissolve most of it but if you wipe it dry with a paper towel it will leave you with a clean streak- free surface which is exactly what you need. I disposed of all my used materials except my metal tin and put it all outside in a plastic bag far away from the house because the stripper is extremely flammable. 

Here is the original furniture:


And the after:








I did not accomplish getting the entire dresser stripped but that's okay! Taking this project in small steps (or any project) is a good idea because it allows you time to think and recuperate before you go back at it. So, do it in your free time and enjoy what you are doing! Have some friends over and have them help you or make it a date night! Big projects like this should be FUN if you are choosing to do them :)


Next week I hope to get all of the drawers and the sides done! Subscribe to us so you don't miss out! If you have any questions please leave them in the comments and we will get back to you!  
Love,
Tinsel & Tulle  

No comments:

Post a Comment